The Refugee Education Center looks for inspiring, thoughtful, and passionate individuals who want to make an impact in West Michigan. Hands Connected is a one-of-a-kind program that provides children of refugee background, aged 0-5, with culturally responsive and multi-lingual pre-K — taught by refugee and non-refugee educators. Its’ primary purpose is to support the children’s development so that they do not fall behind early in life. In order to create a non-segregated learning environment, we seek to keep enrollment at the Center to a ratio of 60% refugee and 40% non-refuge children. We are currently looking for a Part Time PM Teacher to help support this program!
Job Title: Infant/Toddler PM Teacher
Location: Hands Connected (2530 Eastern Ave SE Grand Rapids, MI)
Department: Early Childhood
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports To: Hands Connected Center Director
Hours: Part Time: Monday - Friday 1:00pm - 6:00pm
Other Key Relationships:
Associate teacher will interact and develop relationships with Hands Connected Staff, partners, parents, community partners, volunteers and other community early childhood program peers.
Essential Job Functions include but not limited to the following:
Assist the Associate 0-3 Teacher and assume leadership in the absence of the Lead 0-3 Teacher in the following essential job functions:
- Execute lesson plans based on approved curriculum
- Attend mandatory training and meetings as needed
- Keep certifications current (i.e., CPR/First Aid, etc.)
- Prepare needs List for supplies for relevant classroom
- Assist in preparing for Parent/Teacher Conferences
- Keep Resource Room neat and tidy and classrooms clean at the end of each class session
- Maintain professional attitude and loyalty to the Program
- Treat children, parents, other teachers with respect and dignity
- Keep accurate records
- Assist and or participate in all REC major projects and activities
- Adheres to all guidelines contained in REC’s Employee Handbook
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Center Director
Essential Competencies Required:
Ownership: participates in shared responsibilities for the benefit of REC organizational values, programs, and area space.
Values Diversity: Practices identifying individuals with different cultural, educational, and communal perspectives in areas of hiring, program feedback, and program development as a benefit to both the organization and communal equity.
Accountability: Supports organization’s partners and participants by consistently fulling commitments in timely and results oriented way.
Professionalism: Dresses, communicates, and represents self in a manner appropriate for the role or task
Collaboration: When appropriate, actively seeks out peers and/or community partners to accomplish goals
Knowledge’s, Skills, And Abilities
- Knowledge of complex helping systems, professions, and organizations and how they affect children and family welfare, and the multiple uses of such systems, professions, and organizations to deliver services
- Knowledge of safety regulations, practices, and procedures
- Skill in conducting interviews to establish the nature and extent of concerns/issues, provide professional assistance to families or staff, and determine appropriate referral services/opinions
- Ability to work well with others in a team approach
- Knowledge of computer software programs for the management and manipulation of data
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
Minimum Required Education and Experience:
- Previously earned 120 hour approval from the Michigan Department of Education, or
- Valid Child Development Associate Credential (CDA) in Infant/Toddler
- Minimum 2 years experience in Early Childhood Education
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Associate’s Degree in Early Childhood Education/Child Development
Additional requirements of the position:
- Ability to pass fingerprinting background check
- Negative TB test within one year prior to start date
- Program activities frequently take place in the center/site (permanent and mobile), family homes, and other community locations
- Ability to sit for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to stand and walk to conduct seminars and training.
- Ability to utilize computers and software.
- Ability to listen and speak.
- Ability to walk long distances and transport heavy materials weighing up to 25 pounds
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to reach, bend, kneel, and squat.
- Ability to go up and down stairs.
- Ability to read a wide range of complicated material.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $15.00 per hour
Please follow the below link to our website in order to apply: